Want to join a fun crew?
Are you looking to join a friendly and professional team in Golden, BC this summer? Glacier Raft Company is Golden's original rafting company, and we've been running the Kicking Horse River since 1982.
We're an operation that prioritizes safety, exceeding expectations, valuing our guests and providing you with a positive work environment.
We operate from mid May to mid September and we try to do the majority of our hiring between January and March.
See below for the positions we have available. If you're interested in applying please email your cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com.
BUT, before reading on please check out these five things you must know about our company.
Our 5 Non-Negotiables
1. We don't do average
We give everything we've got to everything we do because surpassing expectations is what we strive for. We expect you to do the best you can at everything you do, so make sure your heart is in it.
2. We care
We want you to love coming to work, and our guests to love their complete experience with us. Maintaining a positive environment is critical to this so we expect all staff to show up each day with a positive attitude and professional mindset.
3. It's all about trust
Summers are short but they're full on busy. We need to know that you'll be reliable, trustworthy, available to work, and that you'll be someone other people like being around.
4. We do what we do because we love it
We have a passion for the outdoors, adventure and high quality experiences. The majority of our staff return year after year because they love what they do. Please make sure you're suited to an environment that's passionate, professional and playful.
5. Kind people only please
We welcome guests and staff from all walks of life and everyone is deserving of equal respect. Critical, mean spirited or discriminatory behaviour is not welcome here.
Whitewater Rafting Guide
Our guides are a tight knit group who value camaraderie, good work ethic and a commitment to safety. We are guiding guests down the Kicking Horse River in 16 foot Aire 156r boats.
- We run company lines because safety is everything. Lines are discussed at guide meetings each morning and it's the expectation that you'll follow these lines.
- A valid swift water rescue certification.
- A valid 50 hour first aid certification as a minimum, an 80 hour is preferable.
- This is a class 4 river so previous guiding experience on oars is an asset.
- A certain amount of training is required until our senior guides sign off that you are ready to take clients down the Kicking Horse.
- Priority is given to guides who are looking to do multiple seasons with us.
- We run up to two trips per day. Your wage is based on experience and the number of seasons spent on the Kicking Horse River.
The Kicking Horse is a beautiful and exciting river and many guides return for 5-10 seasons.
If you're interested in joining our guide crew please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your application or questions.
*If you're interested in guiding but don't have any experience, a raft guide course is a good place to start. Guide courses are offered in Golden each spring by the College of the Rockies.
Bus and Truck Driver
Our drivers are a very valuable part of our operation. Drivers navigate Highway #1 daily where safety is the name of the game.
- We like all drivers to be able to drive truck or bus, and we're willing to help you get your class 2 licence. We will assist with training and provide the bus for your class 2 road test.
- All of our buses require a class 2 licences and are 48 passenger full sized school buses. Some are automatics and some are standard transmission. Knowing how to drive both is required.
- Bus drivers will be taking guests to and from three different river put-ins.
- You will be responsible for daily rig and de rig, vehicle inspections, fuelling, cleaning and interacting with our guests.
- Truck drivers will be in a pick up with a roof rack and raft trailer.
- Truck drivers take gear, guides and lunch out to the river. Truck drivers are responsible for setting up and BBQing at our riverside lunch site.
- Skills backing up with a trailer are an asset, but this can be taught
We run up to two trips per day. For a trip large or small we need our drivers, so reliability is very important. You'll be working outside in a beautiful environment with great people.
If you're interested in joining our driving crew please email us at email@example.com with your application or questions.
This is where everything starts in keeping our operation organized and running efficiently. It's a very important position as you will be taking bookings, organizing trips, dealing with guests and responding to questions. It is a fast paced environment for a lot of the day so you will be working alongside a co worker.
- Attention to detail is critical as it's the little things that make all the difference. We expect you to be conscientious and organized to help us run a professional program.
- You must be able to respond to email inquiries in a professional and cohesive way - spelling, grammar and punctuation are important.
- Strong computer skills. All of our systems are 100% computer based so you must be comfortable navigating the internet, different online programs and social media platforms.
- You must be flexible and patient and willing to answer the same questions hundreds of times. Rafting is a new experience for most of our guests, so they have LOTS of questions. You must commit to being as upbeat and friendly in September as you are in May.
- We're a tight team and we expect everyone to get along, work together and help out with whatever is needed.
- You must be willing early season to learn about the river and our trips as quickly as possible. It’s a short, busy season, so knowing this information right away is critical. Depending on how quickly you pick things up, you may need to do some of this memorizing on your own time.
- You must be comfortable talking with people and being a positive ambassador of Glacier Raft Company, Whitewater Lodge and Golden B.C.
We have full time and part time office positions available. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or with your application.
Our base crew is responsible for a lot of the behind the scenes tasks that are essential to our smooth operation.
- You must have a valid drivers licence, as you'll use a company vehicle for grocery and supply shopping, and going to the dump and recycling depot.
- You'll be willing to help with various tasks around the base. This includes cleaning, maintenance, gardening and getting rafting guests ready.
- With a variety of tasks, each day can look a bit different, so you must be flexible and adaptable.
- Showing initiative and being able to work independently is important. It's a great position for someone who can take a list of tasks and go make it happen on their own.
To apply, please email us at email@example.com and tell us about yourself and why you want to work with us. Send along your resume, cover letter and references.
Thank you for your interest in working with Glacier Raft Company!